Monday , July 24 2017
Breaking News

Category Archives: Columns

Feed Subscription

Beaver Meadow’s Wild Summer

The Buffalo Audubon Society will be hosting a summer family fun festival that will create memories for a lifetime! Beaver Meadow’s Wild Summer will take place at the Beaver Meadow Audubon Center on Saturday, Aug. 5, 2017 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Visitors will explore Beaver Meadow through playing in nature. Everyone will enjoy paddling the pond in a ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: The Oldest Houses in Springville

Josling

The Eaton/Joslin House is tied with the Cochran house as being one of the oldest houses in Springville. The Cochran house today.  The apartment house on Cochran Avenue is one of the oldest structures still standing in Springville. By Derek M. Otto I often hear the question asked, “what is the oldest house in Springville?” Luckily in Springville, we have ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: Dealing With the Wild

Nib-Ellis-1950

Nib Ellis with the last known wolf in the Town of Concord. By Derek M. Otto With summer is well underway, the residents in the village of Springville and the Town of Concord are dealing with a taste of the surrounding wildlife.  Bear sightings and numerous fox and raccoons making their way into the village are making life a little ... Read More »

Travel WNY: National Comedy Center Presents Week of Comedy July 31 – Aug. 6

Comedian-Headshots

The National Comedy Center is presenting a week of comedy performances and dialogues during its annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, and partnering with world-renowned Chautauqua Institution on a week titled “Comedy and the Human Condition,” July 31 – Aug. 6. Jim Gaffigan, Kevin James, Robert Klein, Lisa Lampanelli and more than 20 others will perform in Lucille Ball’s hometown of ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: The Fourth of July

Farmers-Bank-1930s-patriotic-bunting

The Farmers Bank at the corner of Main and Mechanic Streets decorated in all its patriotic glory  is a fitting picture for the Fourth.  The bank was built in 1883; the clock was added in 1929.   The Farmers Bank was bought out by M & T Bank in the 1950s.  The building was razed in 1973 when the new ... Read More »

Travel WNY: Visit Panama Rocks

Eagle-and-Cannon

By Jessie Schwartz Panama Rocks is an area treasure for all nature lovers, hikers, and geology and history nerds alike!  Located 15 minutes from Bemus Point in Chautauqua County, Panama Rocks is an adventure waiting to happen.  The open season runs from May through October each year and, according to the park’s website, Panama Rocks has been ranked Chautauqua County’s ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: Smith & Smith

Circling-Wave-next-to-the-factory-on-Franklin-Street

The Circling Wave set up on Franklin Street about 1915.  If you look closely, most of the houses behind the ride are still standing.  By Derek M. Otto The annual Dairy Festival has come and gone already and now we are ready for the fun that summer brings.  The Chaffee-Sardinia Firemen Carnival is coming this weekend—the last of the local ... Read More »

Travel WNY: Walk Through the Sky at Kinzua Bridge State Park

Kinzua-Sky-Walk2

Editor’s note: While this column usually features places to visit in WNY, some places in northern Pennsylvania are within a short driving distance and are too cool not to mention.One of these places is Kinzua Bridge State Park, located just a stone’s throw from the southern tier. Kinzua Bridge State Park, at 296 Viaduct Road in Mt. Jewett, PA. Once ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: The Springville Murder Mystery

look-back-pic

By Derek M. Otto The recent grisly discovery of human skeletal remains nearby in the town of North Collins is a reminder of a time more than 80 years ago when a similar discovery was made. The discovery of a body on the Cattaraugus Reservation eventually led to Springville being in the center of a federal murder investigation and later ... Read More »

A LOOK BACK: An Aerial Shot of Smith and Eaton Streets

smith-st.-looking-st-eaton

By Derek M. Otto This is an aerial photograph of Smith Street looking north to Eaton Street in 1906.  Notice the original St. Al’s building in lower left of the picture.  The building was moved in 1879 to make way for the large wooden church.  It still has the steeple on it. Notice the outhouses behind homes.    The large ... Read More »

Scroll To Top