By Alicia Dziak
Race season continues this fall, and what better way to burn off some calories than gathering friends and family and joining in? Whether you’re in it to win it or just for the camaraderie, hitting the pavement or hitting the trails this October will surely be memorable!
Fall Fest weekend in Ellicottville means many traditions for thousands of people—why not make the annual 5K one of your traditions while at the largest EVL festival of the year? On Saturday, Oct. 6 at 9:30 a.m., head to Holiday Valley for a 5K race on area roads held during Fall Festival Weekend. Compete for awards in 5-year age groups, great post-race party and great door prizes.
The following day, mountain bikers have their turn during the annual Fall Festival Mountain Bike Race. Racers in several different classes from several surrounding states compete for awards and prizes in a fun and challenging course filled with challenging climbs, amazing single-track and fun/challenging downhill sections. Pre-register or head down on race-day to register.
The EVL Half returns to the Village Oct. 27. You’re sure to be entertained by costumed runners while heading through the streets of EVL. Custom medals are given to half marathon finishers, and shirts go to those participating in the 5K and half.
Other upcoming are races include:
• Oct. 6, Meghan Memorial Cross Country, Hilbert College, 5200 S Park Ave Hamburg, NY 14075. Combination college event and running event open to the public. All teams (College, High School, Club, ad-hoc) and individuals (Open) are invited to participate in the races. Standard X-Country scoring for teams. In Memory of Meghan Sorbera, Hilbert College sophmore whose life was tragically cut short by a hit and run driver in Hamburg 7 years ago. Meghan had run Cross-Country at Hilbert
• Oct. 13, Marilla Trail Race, Marilla Reservoir, 1131 West Washington Street, Bradford, Pa. The Marilla Trail Race offers the opportunity for beginners, hard-core trail runners, and everyone in-between to take advantage of Bradford’s world-class wilderness.
• Oct. 14, Monster Scramble, Holy Cross Cemetery, 2900 South Park Ave, Lackawanna. Halloween themed, chip-timed FUNdraising run. Also a one mile trick-or-treat family walk. Participants are encouraged to dress in costume (optional). Finisher medals and event t-shirts for all pre-registered runners. All proceeds benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and support local programs and research to find a cure for MS.
• Oct. 20, trail races, The Woods At Bear Creek Resort, Franklinville. The first race at 9 a.m. is the 2-Mile warm-up run, followed by your choice of 3, 6, 9, 0r 12 miles. Net proceeds go to WNY Heroes.
• Oct. 26, BOO Bash & Dash, Hotel Lafayette, 391 Washington Street Buffalo. Packet pickup/registration/pre race party starts at 5:30-7:15 p.m. inside the hotel restaurant, “Lafayette Brewing Company”. Costume Contest at 7 p.m.. 5K run starts at 7:30 p.m.