By Derek M. Otto
This is an aerial photograph of Smith Street looking north to Eaton Street in 1906. Notice the original St. Al’s building in lower left of the picture. The building was moved in 1879 to make way for the large wooden church. It still has the steeple on it.
Notice the outhouses behind homes.
The large field at the end of Smith St. became a park. Many events were held there including circuses and the original fireman’s carnivals. (Funny, we just had the Dairy Fest there.)
Many of the homes on the north side of Eaton Street were moved from Main Street, when newer larger buildings were built.